Information on permits and certificates

Planning to do some construction or renovation work on your property? Thinking about installing a swimming pool or building a shed in your yard? To undertake these or similar projects you need a permit or a certificate of authorization.

Avoid problems!
Make sure to obtain your permit or certificate of authorization before beginning any work on your home or your property, or even before buying your materials.

Be aware that failure to comply with these regulations is punishable by a fine (minimum $300 plus costs) and often leads to frustrating delays in your projects.

New by-laws

On May 24, 2024, the Ville de Saint-Lambert received the last certificates of conformity from the agglomeration of Longueuil as part of its revamping of urban planning tools.

It is essential that you read the by-laws before undertaking any project, to ensure that it is feasible and compliant. Consult the Urban Planning By-laws page.

The ABCs of permits

A permit is required for all construction, extension, or excavation work, as well as for any renovation or repair work affecting the facade or the structure of a building.

A permit is also required for any other type of indoor or outdoor work costing more than $10,000.

Permit application
Print the application for a building permit or certificate of authorization (in French only). Bring the completed form and all necessary documents to the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department to obtain your permit. Certain fees apply.

A permit is not required for regular maintenance or minor repairs to your property, as long as the cost of the work does not exceed $3,000. For example, you do not need a permit to:

  • paint your kitchen walls or cupboards
  • install a backsplash or decorative moulding
  • Repairs to electrical, plumbing or heating systems (except wood-burning systems)

Even if you do not require a permit, it is important that you comply with the provisions of the permits and certificates by-law and of all related regulations, such as the Quebec Construction Code. When in doubt, do not hesitate to contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450-672-4444 or

Please note that any renovation project affecting the facade of a main building facing a street, including, for example, the addition of architectural elements or the modification of cladding materials or color, must be approved in advance by the City Council, even if the amount is less than $10,000.

In addition to a construction permit, you need to obtain a certificate of authorization for certain types of landscaping or other outdoor work on your property, including:

  • excavation, clearing, or backfilling
  • construction, relocation, or demolition of an ancillary building, or any addition to the main building (such as a solarium)
  • installation of a heat pump, generator, or water heater for a swimming pool, or other mechanical equipment
  • construction of an in-ground pool
  • installation of an above-ground pool or a spa with a capaity of more than 2,000 litres
  • installation of a fence
  • construction of a garage or a car shelter
  • installation of an ancillary building
  • felling of trees
  • upgrading of any building or structure to compliance
    installation of a home or other type of antenna
  • work of any nature affecting a riverbank, lakeshore, littoral zone, or floodplain

For detailed information on the most common types of work that require a permit or certificate, and to find out the procedure for obtaining one, consult the sections on the different categories of work (see related content).

You also need a certificate of authorization for the following commercial activities:

  • construction, installation, replacement, or alteration of a public notice, sign, or billboard
  • installation of a temporary building for commercial or industrial purposes
  • installation of a café-terrace.
Please refer to the Urban planning by-laws page to know all the provisions of the urban planning by-laws in force on the territory of the Ville de Saint-Lambert.

Requests for the opening and closing of the water supply line

Certain work requires closing the water supply line. Only the Ville de Saint-Lambert is authorized to do so. Please submit your requests to have the water supply line opened or closed to the Public Works Office at 450-672-4444 at least 24 hours in advance. If the work is to be carried out on a Monday, you must submit your request by no later than the Friday morning preceding the Monday in question. In 2024, the cost of this service is $200 if the work is scheduled between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., from Monday to Friday.

In 2024, the cost is $270, if the work is scheduled between 3 p.m. to 7 a.m., from Monday to Friday, or on Saturday and Sunday, from mid-April to mid-October. The cost is $360 on Saturdays or on holidays. These costs cover both the opening and closing of the water supply line.

Tell us what you think