Public nuisances

To live in the Ville de Saint-Lambert is to benefit from all the charms of country living in an urban setting. The city’s trees, flower gardens, and charming and well-maintained houses all contribute to making our municipality an attractive, sought-after place to live.

Each one of us plays a role in preserving the benefits of this unique environment. While modern equipment has made our lives easier, the noise it generates can disturb the tranquility of our neighbourhoods. As well, some plants can be harmful, especially to children, and certain visual nuisances can also pollute our environment. In light of these concerns, it is important that everyone keep their property free from those things that are liable to have a detrimental effect on the daily lives of their neighbours.

Comments and complaints
At any time, citizens are invited to submit their comments about noise by calling the Parc Jean-Drapeau customer service department by phone at 514 872-6120 until 9 p.m. on show nights, or by email after 9 p.m. at

The City has adopted a nuisance by-law to protect the quality of life of all its citizens.

To avoid certain health problems that many people suffer from during the summer months, weeds, especially ragweed and poison ivy, must be pulled up and destroyed regularly.

Don’t forget: lawns, weeds, and undergrowth must not be allowed to grow higher than 20 cm (8 in.) and must be cut regularly.

The maximum level of noise permitted is 50 decibels, which is equivalent to the human voice.


  • At all times and in all circumstances, whether indoors or outdoors, in private or in public, any noise that exceeds 50 decibels from any source (sound system, television, fan, air conditioner, heat pump, power tool, hand tool, etc.) will not be tolerated, unless otherwise allowed for in the by-law.
  • In the case of a heat pump, there are many ways to reduce the noise level, including, among others, building a buffering wall (out of brick, for example) around it, insulating the compressor, installing a sound barrier of hedges or bushes, reducing the speed, or installing the device underground.
  • It is forbidden to do any construction work outdoors and indoors (when noisy), to use a leaf blower or to mow your lawn with a motor lawn mower on Sundays and between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. every day.

To avoid danger to the public, it is forbidden to project a beam of light beyond the limits of the land on which the fixture is located.

Compost and organic material must be collected inside a container designed for that purpose. No toxic material, meat scraps, fat, or animal excrement may be placed in this container.

The container must be stored our of sight of passers-by, in a location that is not visible from the street and that is more than 2 m (6.6 ft.) from any property line.

A vehicle may not be left on concrete blocks or on any other type of support. It is forbidden to strip a motor vehicle anywhere other than in areas where this activity is expressly authorized through a town planning by-law.

It is prohibited to drive a car in a way that causes the tires to squeal or any other unpleasant noise and thus disturbs the peace and tranquility of the neighbourhood.

It is prohibited to leave or deposit any contaminated or foul-smelling materials (water, oil, garbage, construction debris, etc.) on your property. Storing furniture as well as any other objects not intended for a specific outdoor use on your property is also considered a nuisance.

It is further prohibited to burn paper, scrap materials, garbage, leaves, rubbish or any other materials on your property. Fires in a decorative fire pit equipped with a spark screen are allowed, provided they do not emit excessive smoke.

It is prohibited to deposit earth, construction materials or any other types of material on the street or sidewalk unless you have special permission from the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department. Nor are you allowed to deposit snow or ice on the sidewalk, in the street, in a park, on public land, in municipal sewers or bodies of water, or within 3 m (9.9 ft) of a fire hydrant.

Breaking, altering, removing or otherwise impairing the visibility of street lamps, fire hydrants and signs is also prohibited.

It is prohibited for a person to loiter in a public space without a valid reason, particularly if it impedes traffic, is within a 100-m radius of a school that is not attended by the person or a member of his or her family, or is after the hours permitted.

Similarly, no one is permitted to climb walls or access the roof of a building in any way whatsoever without the owner or occupant’s permission.

It is prohibited to apply any graffiti on public or private property, except for what is authorized by a law, by-law or resolution, or with the formal approval of the property owner in the case of artwork.

All property owners, tenants and occupants are obliged to remove any graffiti on their building.

The short-term rental of their residence or dwelling, as promoted on such platforms as Airbnb among others, is currently not permitted in residential neighbourhoods.

In effect, the zoning by-law states as much in its definition of a dwelling:

“Dwelling: Unit of dwelling space occupied or intended to be occupied by one or more people residing as a single household, and to which there is access from the outside either directly or through a vestibule, without having to pass through another dwelling unit in whole or in part, and equipped with a bathroom and facilities for preparing meals, eating and sleeping, and intended to be occupied as a residence or domicile for a period of more than thirty (30) consecutive days. A dwelling rented for non-consecutive periods of less than thirty (30) days is deemed to be used for commercial purposes. [Translation]

In brief:

  • For short-term rentals (31 days or less), the property must be the applicant's primary residence. A compliance notice must be completed and authorized by the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department. Then, an application for registration must be approved by one of the organizations recognized by the Ministry of Tourism.
  • For long-term rental (31 days or more), commercial use must be authorized by the Zoning By-law in force.

You can report an illegal tourist residence on the Revenu Québec website, or by telephone at 1-855-208-1131.

Therefore, this practice is considered to be commercial in nature and, consequently, is not allowed in residential zones.

For more information, residents are invited to contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450-672-4444 or

Consult the by-law concerning nuisances (in French)

Tell us what you think