The City Clerk’s department is responsible for providing City Council with secretarial services and managing the City’s legal affairs in accordance with Québec’s Cities and Towns Act. Its main tasks are to:
- Draft the documents needed for City Council meetings and all official notices issued by the City;
- Coordinate and prepare legal documents and contracts;
- Administer the document management system and the municipal archives;
- Enforce the Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information;
- Manage claims, civil remedies, and proceedings instituted for or against the City;
- Draft or verify by-laws and manage the steps leading to their implementation.
The City Clerk’s department therefore plays an important role in the preparations for City Council meetings by, among other things, drafting the agendas, minutes, and public notices.