Modernizing our public street-lighting network
Beginning in mid-August, the City of Saint-Lambert will be converting 1,335 cobra-type street lights to LED technology. The lighting will be 3000 K, a warm white comfortable to the eye.This change is part of a sound energy-management process and represents a significant step toward the smart and sustainable development of our municipality.
These new LED street lights will offer the following advantages:
- Better visibility of the pavement, as their gentle, warm light makes it easier to see colours and shapes
- An energy-efficient technology with a lifespan five times longer than that of traditional high-pressure sodium bulbs
- Energy savings of up to 70%
- Night-sky friendly with their directional lighting, which minimizes light pollution
- Intelligent lighting management in real time for better control and increased lifespan of the equipment.
This work, which will take approximately 12 weeks, will not require any street closures. If necessary for safety reasons, the related signage will move around as the work progresses.
Like many cities in Québec, Saint-Lambert has joined the program of the Fédération québécoise des municipalités (FQM), in partnership with the energy-efficiency services company Énergère, in order to benefit from preferential conditions for its project of modernizing the City’s street-lighting network. The https://lumieresurlequebec.ca website (French only) tells you more about the advantages of this project and gives you real-time updates on work progress.
Why carry out this street-lighting modernization project?
This project will equip the City with efficient, safe, and more environmentally friendly public street lighting. It will thus improve residents’ quality of life through improved and more uniform lighting that is easier on the eyes and adapted to specific street configurations.
The new street lights will also be integrated into an intelligent lighting-management system, a wireless communication infrastructure that allows for their remote surveillance and management.
What is the usefulness of an intelligent lighting-management system (ILMS)?
An intelligent lighting-management system (ILSM) provides efficient aggregated management of this equipment by allowing for:
- optimal planning of network maintenance
- fast intervention when malfunctions are detected
- collection of information on consumption and on the remaining lifespan of the street lights
- remote adjustment of lighting levels, and
- additional energy savings and reduced CO2.
What are the tangible advantages for the City of moving forward with this project?
The implementation of this project will guarantee the City major savings in terms of energy and maintenance. Apart from direct savings in terms of electricity consumption, the system will make it easier for the City’s team to manage the lighting network and will save them maintenance trips and time thanks to the equipment’s long life span.
2019-09-26 - Update on the progress of the work