The accessibility mode increases the contrast for people with visual problems.

Fences and hedges

General information

No shrub, bush, or hedge may be planted less than 1 m (3.3 ft.) from a fire hydrant.

No hedge may be planted less than 2 m (6.6 ft.) from a sidewalk, or a curb where there is no sidewalk, or, where there is no sidewalk or curb, less than 3 m (9.8 ft.) from the edge of the street pavement.

A fence or hedge located within the visibility triangle may not exceed 75 cm (29.5 in.) in height. The height is measured with reference to the centre of the street.

Siting and height

The height of fences and hedges is measured from the adjacent ground level and must comply with the maximum prescribed heights.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to check all public or private rights-of-way.

Implantation d'un clôture ou d'une haie

Front yard

Fences are note permitted in front yards with the exception of snow fences(1) used to protect plants and landscaping.

Hedges may not exceed 1.2 m (4 ft.) in height in the street right-of-way and the front setback(2) and 1.85 m (6 ft.) in the front yard, except within the visibility triangle, where a hedge may not exceed 75 cm (29.5 in.) in height.

Secondary front yard

Fences may not exceed 1.85 m (6 ft.) in height.

The height specifications for hedges in secondary front yards are the same as those for hedges in front yards.

Side and back yards

Fences may not exceed 1.85 m (6 ft.) in height.

Hedges may not exceed 3.7 m (12 ft.) in height.

Hedges are tolerated within the street right-of-way, but are installed at the owner’s risk, and the city reserves the right to request their removal at any time

Types of fences

Only the following types of fences are authorized:

  • Wood fences with openings;
  • Ornamental metal fences;
  • Rigid PVC fences;
  • Vinyl-covered or enamelled steel chain-link fences;
  • Low brick or stone walls.

In secondary front yards, only ornamental metal fences, or vinyl-covered or enamelled steel chain-link fences are authorized. A fence made of any other authorized material must be screened from the street by a hedge.

The following types of fences are prohibited anywhere in the municipality:

  • Fiberglass panel fences;
  • Snow fences(1);
  • Barbed wire fences.

(1) Exception : Snow fences used to protect and landscaping are authorized from October 15 to april 15.


Hedges must be trimmed and pruned when they exceed the maximum permissible height.

All low walls and fences must be properly maintained.

For more information on landscaping and outdoor equipment, please consult the pamphlets entitled Outdoor landscaping and installations” and “Terraces, balconies, galleries, porticos and porches.

Other provisions

The following provisions are provided for information and refer to articles 1002, 1003, and 1004 of the Civil Code of Québec

1002. “Any owner of land may fence it, at his own expense, with walls, ditches, hedges or any other kind of fence.

Before fencing your land,  it is advisable to have a land surveyor stake out the boundaries of your property.

«  He may also require his neighbour to make 1/2 of or share the cost of making a fence which is suited to the situation and use made of the premises, on the dividing line to divide his land from his neighbour's land. »

1003. “A fence on the dividing line is presumed to be common. Similarly, a wall supporting buildings on either side is presumed to be common up to the point of disjunction.”

1004. “Any owner may cause a private wall directly adjacent to the dividing line to be rendered common by reimbursing the owner of the wall for 1/2 of the cost of the section rendered common and, where applicable, 1/2 of the value of the ground used. The cost of the wall is estimated on the date on which it was rendered common, and account is taken of its state.”

Certificate  of authorization

A certificate of authorization is required to install a fence on your property. When making a request, you must submit two copies of the following:

  • The certificate of location prepared by a land surveyor showing the distance of the fence from the property lines and from the building;
  • A plan or pamphlet showing the materials and the height of the fence;
  • Contractor’s contact information;
  • Work schedule;
  • Cost of the work.


  • Before the file can be evaluated, the request must be signed and paid for, and all the required documentation must be completed.
  • Allow a maximum of 30 days for your request to be processed. When you submit your request, an estimate of the time it will take will be provided.
  • The inspector will issue the certificate of authorization.


Certificate of authorization (residential): $80

Please refer to the By-laws page to know all the provisions of the urban planning by-laws in force on the territory of the Ville de Saint-Lambert.