To encourage families living in the municipality to use cloth diapers, throughout 2019, the City of Saint-Lambert is offering financial assistance to parents who purchase reusable diapers.
Why cloth diapers?
Cloth diapering is both an eco-friendly and economical choice for several reasons:
- In Quebec, more than 600 million disposable diapers end up in landfills each year. They will take between 300 and 500 years to decompose compared to 6 months for cloth diapers.
- The production of disposable diapers uses 41% more water than the manufacturing and maintenance of reusable cloth diapers.
- The cost of using disposable diapers is between $2,000 and $2,500 per child from birth to the time he or she is toilet trained, while cloth diapering costs from $700 to $1,000, including laundry costs.
- Cloth diapers can be reused for a second child. In addition, they are comfy and more hygienic for babies, and can help speed up the potty training process.
What is this program?
Families who choose to use cloth diapers can receive a grant equivalent to 50% of the cost of a set of at least 20 cloth diapers, up to a maximum of $100. One subsidy per child, per bill.
How to benefit from the grant?
To receive the subsidy, parents must:
- Have a baby born after December 1, 2018;
- Live in the municipality of the City of Saint-Lambert;
- Fill out the application form by November 30, 2019 at the latest;
- Provide the following documents with the form:
- The bill for the purchase of a set of at least 20 washable cloth diapers;
- A copy of a proof of birth (child’s birth certificate or declaration of birth);
- Bring the form and supporting documents in person or mail them to the Saint-Lambert City Hall:
Cloth diaper subsidy program
City of Saint-Lambert
55 Argyle Avenue
Saint-Lambert, QC J4P 2H3
The City will study the application and, if it qualifies, will mail a cheque to the applicant.