Lawns form part of the urban landscape in any municipality. The Ville de Saint-Lambert therefore has a few rules in this regard to ensure a pleasant environment.
- Manual watering: You are free at all times to use a watering can containing less than 40 litres of water or water from your rainwater barrel to water your garden and lawn.
- Removable sprinklers: Watering with removable systems, such as perforated hoses, spray guns, or oscillating sprinklers, is permitted between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. on even-numbered days at even-numbered addresses and on odd-numbered days at odd-numbered addresses.
- Automatic sprinkler systems: Automatic sprinkler systems can only be used on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., regardless of your address.
When you lay new sod, you may obtain a permit to water your lawn for a maximum of seven consecutive days during authorized hours. This permit is renewable only once. To obtain a permit, contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450 466-3277 or email@example.com.
It is forbidden to make any noise (such as using a lawnmower) that disturbs the peace and tranquility of the neighbourhood between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m., and all day Sunday. It is also forbidden at all times to make a noise with a sound level that is equal to exceeds 50 decibels, as measured at the property line.
It is forbidden to let brush or grass grow taller than 20 cm. The owner, tenant, or occupant is responsible for maintaining the property and the building.
The application of all pesticides (insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides) is strictly forbidden. Only the application of low-impact products approved by the City is permitted without a temporary permit for the application of pesticides.
Please contact us at 450 466-3277 or firstname.lastname@example.org to validate your product before you buy it or apply it on your property.
Consult the By-laws page to find out about all the provisions of the potable water, nuisances, and pesticides by-laws in force on Saint-Lambert territory.
Lawn care tips
Watering isn’t always necessary to have a lush, green lawn. Here are a few simple tips to keeping your lawn healthy, while using as little potable water as possible:
- Only water when necessary. A lawn only needs 2.5 cm (1 in.) of water per week. A good rain shower once a week is plenty.
- Use water from rainwater barrels during dry spells.
- Mow less frequently to help the soil retain its moisture.
- Keep your mowing height at around 7.5 cm (3 in.) to retain moisture.
- Leave grass clippings and shredded leaves on your lawn to provide a natural fertilizer.
- Diversify your seed mix for better resistance to insects and a reduced need for fertilizer: creeping red fescue, perennial ryegrass, white clover, etc.
Grasscycling consists of leaving grass clippings on the lawn. Decomposing in less than 48 hours, grass acts as a perfect natural fertilizer, largely because it consists of nearly 80% water and is rich in nitrogen.
Grasscycling also helps reduce the quantities of residual materials sent to landfill sites. Grasscycling: it’s plain common sense!