Pet owners’ responsibilities
When you become a pet owner, you undertake to obey certain rules.
On your property
- It is prohibited to have more than two pets. In other words, you can have a dog and a cat, two cats, or two dogs.
- It is prohibited to keep a wild animal, farm animal, or exotic animal as a pet on Saint-Lambert territory (e.g. snakes, reptiles, tarantulas, chicken, ducks, or monkeys).
- Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Bulldogs, or any dogs related to these breeds, as well as dangerous and aggressive dogs, are prohibited.
- Any animal kept in your yard must be restrained by a device (such as a cable, leash, or fence) that prevents it from leaving the property.
- It is prohibited to let an animal bark or howl in a way that disturbs the public peace.
In public spaces
- Dogs must be kept on leashes at all times and leashes can measure no longer than two metres.
- You are required to pick up and dispose of your dog’s waste properly so as to keep the environment healthy and clean for everyone.
- Dogs are not allowed in parks or green spaces, on sports fields or in municipal buildings, unless the signs indicate otherwise.
If you are allowed to be on the trails with your dog on a leash, the following poster will clearly state it:
Dog and cat licences
Licences are mandatory for cats and dogs, and must be worn at all times. These annual licences are valid from October 1 to September 30 and can be purchased at any time from City Hall. The cost is $21 for a cat licence and $32 for a dog licence.
The City of Saint-Lambert also offers licences valid for your cat or dog’s entire lifetime. By purchasing this type of licence, you will no longer have to renew your current licence every year. Lifetime licences cost $125 for a dog and $50 for a cat, and are non-transferable if the animal dies.
Owners are also invited to contact the City of Saint-Lambert if they move or if their pet has died so that their file can be brought up to date.
Consult the By-laws page to find out about all the provisions of the pet-related by-laws in force on Saint-Lambert territory.