Permits and certificates
Planning to do some construction or renovation work on your property? Thinking about installing a swimming pool or building a shed in your yard? To undertake these or similar projects you need a permit or a certificate of authorization.
Make sure to obtain your permit or certificate of authorization before beginning any work on your home or your property, or even before buying your materials.
Please note that non-compliance with this regulation may result in a fine (minimum $300 plus costs) and often leads to frustrating delays in your projects.
The ABCs of permits
A permit is required for all construction, extension, or excavation work, as well as for any renovation or repair work affecting the facade or the structure of a building.
A permit is also required for any other type of indoor or outdoor work costing more than $3,000.
Print the application for a building permit or certificate of authorization (in French only). Bring the completed form and all necessary documents to the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department to obtain your permit. Certain fees apply.
A permit is not required for repairs, renovations, or cosmetic changes to a property, as long as the cost of the work does not exceed $3,000. For example, you do not need a permit to:
- replace lighting fixtures, faucets, bathroom vanities, etc.
- paint your kitchen walls or cupboards
- replace flooring
- install a backsplash or decorative moulding.
Even if you do not require a permit, it is important that you comply with the provisions of the permits and certificates by-law and of all related regulations, such as the Quebec Construction Code. When in doubt, do not hesitate to contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450 466-3277 or email@example.com.
In addition to a construction permit, you need to obtain a certificate of authorization for certain types of landscaping or other outdoor work on your property, including:
- excavation, clearing, or backfilling
- construction, relocation, or demolition of an ancillary building, or any addition to the main building (such as a solarium)
- installation of a heat pump, generator, or water heater for a swimming pool, or other mechanical equipment
- construction of an in-ground pool
- installation of an above-ground pool or a spa with a capaity of more than 2,000 litres
- installation of a fence
- construction of a garage or a car shelter
- installation of an ancillary building
- felling of trees
- upgrading of any building or structure to compliance
- installation of a home or other type of antenna
- work of any nature affecting a riverbank, lakeshore, littoral zone, or floodplain
For detailed information on the most common types of work that require a permit or certificate, and to find out the procedure for obtaining one, consult the sections on the different categories of work (see related content).
You also need a certificate of authorization for the following commercial activities:
- construction, installation, replacement, or alteration of a public notice, sign, or billboard
- installation of a temporary building for commercial or industrial purposes
- installation of a café-terrace.
Please refer to the Territorial development page to know all the provisions of the urban planning by-laws in force on the territory of the Ville de Saint-Lambert.
Any modification to the front façade or any exterior modification visible from the street is subject to the By-law concerning the site and architectural integration plans (2234). This entails processing fees and additional steps to obtain a construction permit, which will take a minimum of 10 weeks.
Quick access to common forms
Here are the most frequently requested permits and forms. We invite you to download the required form and fill it out directly on your computer so you can save it in your personal files.
- Application to fell a tree and evaluation of the application
- Service connection procedure
- Installation standards for residential sheds
- Application for a building permit or a certificate of authorization
- Request for a minor exemption
- Standards for storm and sanitary water drainage
- Application for the construction or modification of a driveway
- Application for a certificate of use as a place of business
Requests for the opening and closing of the water supply line
Certain work requires closing the water supply line. Only the Ville de Saint-Lambert is authorized to do so. Please submit your requests to have the water supply line opened or closed to the Public Works Office at 450 466-3690 at least 24 hours in advance. If the work is to be carried out on a Monday, you must submit your request by no later than the Friday morning preceding the Monday in question. The cost of this service is $60 if the work is scheduled between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
The cost is $180, if the work is scheduled between 3 p.m. to 7 a.m., from Monday to Friday, or on Saturday. The cost is $240 on Saturdays or on holidays. These costs cover both the opening and closing of the water supply line.
For more information, contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450-466-3277 or firstname.lastname@example.org.